Scottish First Minister supports sanctions against Israel
- Scotland's elections shattered political mould - SNP triumphant
- The pro-war and pro-Israel Labour, Tory and Lib Dem parties punished
- SNP Leader Alex Salmond tried to impeach Tony Blair for war crimes in Iraq
- Scottish Government offered open access to Scottish hospitals for Palestinian victims of Operation Cast Lead
- Nationalist government must be pressured to match deeds with words
Scotland's elections have shattered the political mould, battered every political party other than the SNP (Scottish National Party) and given us a nationalist majority in the Edinburgh Parliament. The voting system was expressly designed to prevent such an outcome. Unlike Palestinians, though, we do not expect to be punished severely for voting in a way that London disapproves of.
The Labour, Tory and Lib Dem parties that are attacking living standards have been punished and the SNP has reaped the benefits of being seen to oppose the cuts to living standards, services and jobs .We should also remember that the SNP leader, Alex Salmond, has steered his party over the years to oppose many of the core militarist policies of the other parties: he launched an initiative in 2004 to impeach Tony Blair for war crimes in Iraq, and the SNP opposes the Trident nuclear weapons system.